Wednesday, May 26, 2010

While I worked for Gladys I started reading/skimming a book called Living a Beautiful Life. Dianne, her daughter, had highlighted so much of the book that I thought it was worth a read. After reading about 1/3 of it, it started giving me a headache but when I broke it down it had some really nice advise for life.

It talks about the importance of reading and how we should try and read at least 20 minutes a day. It also says, "One of the greatest gifts of all is for a friend to recommend a book to you". I am recommending this book to have on your coffee table because it is too overwhelming to read all at once. I found my notepad where I jotted down things I liked in the book and here they are:

"Every spirit builds itself a house, and beyond its house a world, and beyond its world a heaven. Know then that world exists for you." -Emerson

-Work smarter, not harder.
-Write handwritten notes.
-Create beauty and order and you will be controlling the private hours of your life.
-Our 5 senses need nourishment and then they can nourish us.
-Choose to be rich by making your wants few.
-Life is too short for you to be the caretaker of the wrong details.
-Einstein claimed he got all his best ideas while shaving.
-Pay attention to the little things; when they are right they shore us up; when they are wrong, they are a burden.
-George Bernard Shaw said that to be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer.
-Keep a dictionary handy. The correct word is like any small detail that's just right- it enhances life.
-Buy or cut fresh flowers for your home once a week.

Anyways, that is a random list but I have been working on adding a few of them to my life and I think my life is better because of it. Just thought I should share.


I finished this book yesterday and I am so grateful that I read it. I would feel like a jerk if I didn't recommend it to everyone. It could definitely improve your life.

No comments: