Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Blossom Trail

Blossoms. Trails. Bees.

This is where my family will be in t-minus 2 days.





I am from a part of California that is also known as "The Worlds Fruit Basket."
My Great Grandpa settled in Reedley shortly after leaving Germany after WWI and became a fruit farmer. He had studied farming in Germany and put it to good use here in the states. The farm has been passed down to my Grandpa and now to my Uncle. Growing up with fresh fruit EVERYWHERE was nothing short of lovely. Some of my favorite memories growing up were going out to the packing shed and watching the fruit come down the conveyor belts and picking out the perfect one to eat. That or picking them right off the trees. My Grandpas farm was so huge to me as a kid. The trees went on as far as the eye could see. He grew peaches, plums, nectarines, oranges and tangerines.

We are going back for a visit on Friday and I can't wait. There sadly won't be any fruit ready but the blossoms should be ready for us. The San Joaquin Valley is known for the Blossom Trail. People come from all over to see it. The whole valley smells like blossoms (which can be a good or bad thing depending on your sense of smell). And everything is pink and white. It's beautiful.

1 comment:

Juje said...

Fun. I love a blossom trail.