Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree




Last week Hayley and Chelsea and I marched out to buy a Christmas Tree. Since none of us have a truck, we had to be creative about getting it home. I mulled over our options for about three days and decided that the only logical way would be to walk it home. They agreed, thankfully, and so we bundled up and walked over to Smiths which is luckily only about two blocks away. We picked out the perfect one and got a stand and began our trek home. It was quite a sight but a lot easier than we all had thought.

We rearranged our whole living room to accommodate our new plant. We strung the lights and hung up all the golden balls my mother graciously gave me and called it good. I filled the stand with water and Mckay donated her red sheet for the skirt. It looked perfect and smelled even better! Every time the heater comes on it spreads the scent all around, I love it.

To my disappointment, the next day I checked and the tree hadn't drunk any water!! I started coming to the conclusion that it would die within a day or so because we didn't cut a fresh slice off the bottom.

Sunday night Ben and I decided we wouldn't give up on it that easily. So, we knocked door to door searching for a saw and a nice lady up the street let us borrow hers. It took us about 25 minutes to saw through it due to a incredibly dull saw blade. We put it in the water and let it be.

I checked it later that night and it still hadn't had anything to drink! I decided to give up.

This morning I went over to it because the lights had gone out on part of it and to my astonishment, All the water was gone!!! I was so proud of it!!

Now the trouble is, how long was it dry for? Did it seal off again? agh... This has been way more work than I bargained for. But it is so worth it.

For all of those poor souls who are still reading this, the moral is - Don't give up on a thing. Just when you think all hope is lost, trudge on.

Merry Christmas

1 comment:

Aaron said...

and trudge on we shall! the tree looks great.