Sunday, October 31, 2010

"There is a Pirate over there suckin some Goo."

There is nothing like waking up at the crack of dawn, putting on a run-able costume, waiting in line next to a hearse to get bused up to the snow topped mountains with a bunch of freaks dressed up like astronauts, cops, Hillary Clinton, a human out-house, and strawberry shortcake only to be dropped off and expected to 13.1 miles.

I swore I would never run another race after both 10K's at Bear Lake but somehow Janelle talked me into a Half Marathon. We had everything working against us with this race- shin splints, the early stages of bronchitis, stomach issues, cold weather and severe lack of training. But somehow we pushed all that aside and ran our a's off. The first five miles were bliss. Running from Aspen Grove to Provo Canyon was the prettiest thing I have ever done. The sun was just starting to rise on Timp and everyone was so pumped. I loved being able to smell the gun powder as I crossed over the line. Those wings lasted 6 miles and then I threw them in a ditch. Worst thing ever to run with! Actually, I bet the worst thing was a cardboard car that "Peach" was driving/running in.



This family picture is pretty lame but I had to document Takashi. He is the Japanese exchange student staying with my parents. He probably thinks us Americans are CRAZY!! Especially after watching this race. We have really been wearing him out. He is always falling asleep all over the place. Look at the picture, he can hardly keep his eyes open. Poor guy.


The medals were pretty cool too. If you are going to sign up for a half marathon, sign up for this one. It is so pretty and so entertaining. I was literally laughing 3/4 of the way down.

Things I learned from this:
-Never exceed the maximum allowable dosage of Ibuprofen. It messes you up! Janelle and I thought it would help us fight through the pain to load up before hand. Janelle started taking loose pills laying of the counter just for fun. Not a good idea. I think I took 1800 mg within 12 hours by accident. My stomach paid for it dearly.
-I need to train more.

2 comments:

McKayJoice said...

Whitney just said
"no one should look that cute after running a race, I hate this"

You do look dang cute.
And Takashi is cracken me up thinking about getting a good american experience staying with your family. So funny.

janelle said...

you're not supposed to tell people i'm a druggie.