Thursday, October 28, 2010

Well... It's official

You can stop looking! I found the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. Janelle and I have been looking for it ever since we learned how to crack an egg. I've come close a couple times but I always had a complaint or two about it. It's hard to get the fat right. Some recipes use butter, some margarine and some shortening. This one struck a perfect balance with half butter flavored crisco and half butter. Margarine is not welcome in any of my cookies, EVER! I bake cookies every Wednesday and have learned a lot about making them perfect. Some of you may already know this but if you don't... well... it may change your cookie baking life.
  • In my experience, cookies mixed in an electric mixer never turn out as good as when you mix it by hand with a wooden spoon. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with over mixing. It will work your muscles but for some reason they are always better.
  • I always set the timer for 8 minutes no matter how long the recipe says. Check them and if they need more time set the timer for one minute intervals until you find the perfect "done-ness" and then set every batch for that same time. I always take them out when the edges are a little golden and the tops are just starting to turn golden. This recipe is perfect in my oven at 9 minutes 45 seconds.
  • If you take them out when the edges are just starting to turn brown, the middles will be pretty soft. I take them out and drop the pan on the stove, kinda hard. Then let them continue to bake on the pan for 2 minutes. Take them right off and let them cool on a rack.
  • Use good vanilla, it makes such a difference. Go to mexico and buy the good stuff. I thought my mom was crazy when she filled her suitcase with Mexican vanilla on our cruise but now that I've been spoiled with it, imitation crap vanilla is no bueno.
  • When I refrigerate unused dough, it never bakes as well. It is still pretty good but not quite the same. I always try and bake them all fresh.
Okay, I think that is all. Here is the recipe. I hope you guys make them, and I hope you like them.

Chrissy's Chocolate Chip Cookies
350 Degress
10 minutes
3-4 dozen

2/3 cup Butter
2/3 cup Butter Flavored Crisco
2 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1 cup White Sugar
3 cups Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
8-12 oz. Chocolate Chips

Instructions:
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, shortening, eggs, vanilla and sugars.
Add dry ingredients and stir. Add chocolate chips.

1 comment:

Candice and Tim Peterson said...

You must be one inspired person...I have been craving a GOOD chocolate chip cookie for days now but don't love the one I have so I decided to get on the internet to see what else I could find but I couldn't start my search until I had checked up on my blogs. Low and behold your posting!! You are a life saver. I am going to go make them right now. Thanks for sharing!!