Monday, November 17, 2008

Christmas tunes ala carte

So usually I am against listening to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving but last year I discovered a Christmas compilation that I've been sneaking listens to all year. It's Sufjan Stevens Christmas album called Songs for Christmas.

That wonderful man compiled a short self recorded Christmas CD every year for his neighbors. In 2006 he released the 5 separate albums combined into Songs for Christmas. Some he wrote himself, others are his own rendition of well known Christmas songs.

My top two favorites are Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, which I never considered to be a Christmas song until now, and Holy, Holy, Holy which is also a Hymn. Listening to these songs with Christmas in mind gives them a whole new light to me. The way he performs them brings tears to my eyes. Oh... how touching. (but I'm serious)

I tried to attach Come Thou Fount but I'm not sure if it worked. Hopefully, otherwise check his version out on YouTube or just go buy the album.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I've been listening to those two songs particularly all year and haven't stopped loving them.

Trivia: Without looking up, How many times did I write Christmas?
Don't CHEAT!!

No comments: