Saturday, January 30, 2010

What the What??

I pulled up in front of my parents house today and found my Dad digging a hole in our backyard. I yelled from the street to ask what he was doing and he replied, "I'm putting our Christmas tree in the ground." It's been sitting in the backyard for weeks because we missed the tree collector. He decided it was better to put it in the ground than to have it laying on the ground. Good logic? I was laughing so hard. My Dad is such a treat. Later I heard my brother teasing him in the garage about it and he said, "Gosh, I can't go do anything around here without someone watching me!" That's right Dad, watching you is our favorite thing. You never stop entertaining us.


I tried out that lemon cake that was posted on shemakesshemakes.blogspot.com. I guess it was from Martha Stewart. I had quite the time making it. I felt like I was having an out of body experience. Usually when I cook, at least lately, I am in complete control of everything. Today I was dropping bowls and whisks and thermometers all over the place. I mis-calculated a bunch of ingredients and burned the candied lemons. After all of that I realized that I wasn't going to have enough lemons for the lemon curd filling. I turned to the phrase- When life gives you lemons.... blah blah blah. Instead I just used my last two lemons to try the candied lemons again and just use the frosting for the filling. It turned out just great.

Here is the link for the recipe on Martha's show with the tutorial. Maybe if you follow her video closer than I did you will have even better success.



P.S.- Don't worry, that frosting is a meringue variation, it's okay to have a lot.

1 comment:

Collin and Traci said...

Guess what's random?!shemakeshemakes is collins super good friend and I'm great friends w/ her sister. Crazy, huh? Small world!